Sunday, November 8, 2009

TINA RECEIVES HER TAG "GATE"!!

Did y'all think I was ever going to get my trip to Wichita Falls posted? I declare, I always have the best intentions, but it seems like the days just fly by and before I know it, it's bedtime and another day has passed and I've left y'all in the dark about the delivery of the tag "gate" to Tina!
I simply could not let you continue to wonder how it went so I am writing this on the Tank's and my trip to the coast before my surgery this Wednesday. How about that - a working vacation. We're here for four days and will be leaving tomorrow after we visit an elderly couple that moved here to be closer to their daughter - they were members of our church and we just love Rena and Ray.
Then we'll take our "daughter", Skyler, out to lunch before we head home.


So, okay, let's get to the reason for this post!
I do tend to give entirely too much information! . . .
Below is a picture of my baby - my convertible, the trunk ready to be loaded with all I was taking to Wichita Falls to see Tina and her husband, Will.
The plan was for me to make the 6 1/2 hour drive last Monday, present the gate, get hugs, talk until we could talk no more, eat supper and then I would stay the night in a local hotel as they don't have a guest room (the second bedroom is her studio - I can't think of a better use for a second bedroom, can you??) And then Tina and I would meet for breakfast the next morning before I headed home. I had planned on the trip being a short one as I didn't want to wear her out and my plans worked out perfectly!


The trunk is packed with the tag "gate", my overnight bags and special little gifts from some of the precious tag makers. Oh, and cookies. Before I left the area, I stopped in Kerrville at the Cookie Chick's to pick up a special order I had placed for a half dozen HUGE oatmeal pecan raisin cookies and monster cookies as a special treat for Tina and Will. The Cookie Chick makes the most amazing cookies, they're honkin', AND she ships if you don't live in the area. They are the most delicious cookies and make such a special gift, don't you think? Check out the size of these cookies! They are 1/4# apiece! WOW!!
I made it to Wichita Falls about 3:30 p.m., stopped on the side of the road as I entered town and had a nice chat with a police officer about how fast my car can go *yeah* and after a delightful talk with Officer Piper I drove up at Tina's where she was waiting for me in the driveway!
.

This is a picture of Rat Dog and Tina with the gate after she had studied every tag on it! She was in awe and completely overwhelmed by every one's generosity that made a tag for the "gate". You made her smile! REALLY big!!
She was blown away - no kidding. I want all of you to know that the time and effort you put into making a tag for her meant the world - and those of you that don't even know Tina, that might not even know me, those of you that made a tag because you do know me and those that made one because you know Tina - what a wonderful group of ladies.
The mixed media art community is an amazing group of women and you touched this woman (and Tina;) deeply by your kindness.


Our time together was delightful - she looked great, amazing!, felt pretty stinkin' good, too, considering she's undergoing chemo' and has Stage 4 colon cancer with a spot on her liver. . . .I give you these personal details so that you will know the severity of her cancer and if you are a believer, you will PRAY. That's what she's has asked for, what she longs for - that as many people as possible will be praying for her as she fights this battle. She would love to be added to your church's prayer list, your prayer list, your friend's prayer lists, ask prayer warriors that you know to pray for her. .. She is a strong believer and is counting on the prayer of believers to get her through this!

I thought you would enjoy seeing some pictures of us as we spent that special time together.
So, here we are. . .





Tina has changed her diet and is trying to eat healthy as much as she is able to so for dinner she prepared steamed veggies - broccoli, zucchini, squash, red peppers, onion, corn, fresh green beans, all steamed and absolutely delicious! And, feeling as good as she did, she insisted on doing all of the work while I entertained her by watching.
This picture below is a pic of Will, Tina's very silly husband! He is a hoot, entirely too much like me, and we adore each other. Well, I adore him. Surely he adores me? LOL
He is what Tina refers to as the Food Police as he watches closely what she consumes. He has researched her cancer, treatments, the chemo she is on, homeopathic medicine, everything he can get his hands on that he thinks will help his sweet wife beat this! He is an amazing husband and you can see how much he cares for Tina just by watching him with her.
Me??? Me, he teases. He's simply horrid.
He grilled pork chops for dinner and they were melt in your mouth delicious!
We had a delightful supper full of talk, teasing and a lot of laughter. It was wonderful fun and we all thoroughly enjoyed the meal and each other.
This pic below is of my dinner plate - see how yummy everything looks? And don't you just love the dinnerware?
I left Tuesday morning for home. I left a lot later than planned because Tina and I couldn't stop talking at breakfast! It was hard to leave her, but I know she's in good hands with Will and I keep up with her constantly through prayer, emails, fb and cards.
.
Even though I got off late, I HAD to stop in Mineral Wells on the way home because I had spotted this antique/junk shop that needed my attention when I drove up to Tina's.
.
Here are some overpriced dressers in front of the store.
Inside the junk shop it went on FOREVER. I was there for like an hour as it was and decided I will simply have to go back the next time I drive to Wichita Falls to see my new friend, Mr. Policeman.
I did manage to spend almost $40.00 on pearls, vintage Christmas, dominoes and some other things I can't remember now. *that cracks me up*
So, I leave and drive to the Dairy Queen to use the restroom before heading on and when I get back into my car *after being face to face with several of the DQ patrons* I notice that I have a vintage Christmas ornament from the junk store stuck to my hat!
It's too bad that I was alone because I laughed so hard I thought I'd pee. What a hoot! I SHOPLIFTED!! Oh, my gosh!! I'm 56 - I've never shoplifted in my life until last Tuesday!
Y'all have been so sweet to listen to me ramble on and on.
I just had to share the entire experience (okay, I forgot to take Mr. Policeman's picture, but I got most everything else:) with you so you'd feel like you were there. Most of you reading this were such a huge part of this post that I really wanted you to feel like you were by our side as we spent that time together.
And, to my other loyal, dear readers, thank you for always supporting my blog posts.
.
This Wednesday I will be having surgery that will keep me off of my feet for 14 days so I'll have lots of time to post. I can catch up (I have posts that go back to July that need to be blogged! and I want to start *late* my "30 Days of Blessings" for November). So, know that I'll be on the computer filling everyone in............finally!
Have a fabulous week and know that someone loves you,
.
XOXO, Jan

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Jan, you are such a great friend to Tina. She is so lucky to have you! I have been saying my prayers for Tina and will continue. I originally had planned on getting a tag to you for Tina, but life just got too busy. However, rest assured that I will continue to pray:D

l said...

What a friend you are! I will pray for Tina.

Bettyann said...

Jan you are a great friend and you make me laugh..I like that..say hello to Mr. Policeman lol..what surgery? take care and I will be thinking of you and praying for Tina..

Debra@CommonGround said...

Great post, Jan, I loved hearing about your visit. She looks good, and glad to hear about her eating program, it's so important when fighting cancer, anything else for that matter. I'm sure those fabulous cookies were a real treat! You're a wonderful woman and great friend! Loved the "decorated" hat! Take care of yourself, I'll be keeping you in my prayers also. Keep us posted.
Debra

Unknown said...

Firstly fabulous cookies! Next, I loved your post, full of brightness and hope! Your friend is amazing, my heart goes out to her, and I will keep her in my thoughts.
Shoplifting and chatting wiht policemen! ha you are too funny. love it! Love the hat too, oooh and the car! suzie. xxx

Tina said...

oh - what a great trip you had, and you are such a wonderful friend for your friend Tina.I have never seen anything like what you do for her.
Wishing you the best with your surgery - take care
~ Tina

Unknown said...

Jan dear, what an awesome time!!!! Thank you for doing so much to deliver the gate. Tina looks great!

I'm surprised you didn't get lost in that antique mall-that was crazy! And your car-oh, so cute. HOW did you get it back to normal after your dog um, well, degraded it????
love you and I'm praying for you!
Lynn

Julie Ann said...

Jan- you told the story just perfect!! What a great picture of Tina with the "gate"- it put a smile on my face for sure!! How funny that the tiny ornament stuck to your hat! You just have that certain magnetism- if I met ya in Real Life, I'd be stuck to you like that, too!! :) How funny we'd both look, eh? :) I'll be thinking about you both.

deb christensen said...

what a great post. such a strong friendship. i've told tina'a story to numerous folks in my small community, so she is getting lots of prayer support from up here, albeit windy & frozen little snowflakes of prayers...you are two beautiful ladies. will be thinking of you also, take good care.

Tina(Taken over by her daughter, Nicole) said...

you crazy woman! That was a hoot ;) and soooo very true..you are such a doll, thanks again for everything and taking the time to come up and see us! I'll be calling you after surgery, for I have a ditty to sing to you on the phone..love ya <3 t

kecia deveney said...

so happy she loved her gate - what a wonderful thing to organize for her and how lovely it is for her to feel such support.

Robin said...

uhm, I get the toe. Not you, not The Tank, not Baxter. I want it in a jar. I will set it next to Justin's eye on the table in the hallway.
Then I will have an official collection.

Love ya Jan!

Cindy said...

You two sillies!!!!! (LOVE the faces!). I'm so glad you guys had a good time, the gate is wonderful and I know that she loved it. That was good of you to do. Yep, keepin that gurl in prayer! Sorry to hear about your run in with the ocifer....heard you did get out of it eh? Too funny. And as for the shoplifting...oh lawsy....LOL. you are a mess!
ttyl
c
yapping cat

jeanne said...

Jan, this is my second comment I have written to you today. The first most wonderful comment in the world will never be seen. I lost it when my power went out. Whaaaaaa!

I am not sure I can come close to that wonderful text. HA!

I am so glad to see the tag gate and the trip to take it to Tina was awesome. I felt I was with you. You did not say if you got a ticket from officer Piper. Come on fess up. Your beloved car was going a little too fast. Laughing.

Seriously your trip made someone very happy and it was a huge undertaking on your part. A wonderful act of kindness. I pray that Tina can get the best care out there.

I have to say your photos are wonderful. They just made me smile and laugh out loud too. You are a confessed thief. LOL. the same thing happened to me when I was shopping in an antique store in Kansas City. By the time we arrived home to Fl. It was impossible to make amends. It was a case where they just forgot to charge me. A very small item and I never did sell it. I was an antique dealer back then. Punishment I think.HA!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip. I loved every word.

Hugs, Jeanne

SharDon Exclusives said...

Thank you for the update on Tina. I have been wondering how she is doing. It was sweet to have a lovely face with a name. thank you for organizing the tags in such a clever way.
You are such a sweet person and friend. Thank you for this post,
Sharon

LiLi M. said...

This is beyond words great Jan, glad I could help, love from the Netherlands!

Debra@CommonGround said...

Jan, hope things went well this morning. You were in my prayers. Thanks for joining in, now I get to see your face everyday! te he.
Let us know how you're doing!
Debra

Kathy said...

Yay~
I am so glad I popped over here to see if there was a post about this...There is!!!!
Tina, God Bless you sweets, I hope your doing well. And Jan~ God Bless you too. So happy and honored to be a part of this and I enjoyed reading this post very much. Lots of love in these words....
The window looks FABULOUS!!!!!!!
Ok, hugs and love to all you girls....

Kathy

jeanne said...

Hello Jan, thinking of you and wondering if all is well after your surgery. Wishing you well my friend.

Hugs, Jeanne

Sweetina said...

You are a wonderful friend to Tina.
She is in my prayers. She's in the best of hands~God,Will,you and Rat Dog.
She does look very good and I believe she'll beat this.
xoxo BFF In Az
or 3 n**s

Heather Rogers said...

Love your art. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have always loved the Altered Art and mixed media look. I just have never had a nack for it.

Mija said...

You are a hoot and a holler! And I feel like such a flake! I realize I did not get my little tag sent to you to put on Tina's gate, Ugh! It is here, a little dove of hope for Tina... can you send me her address so I can send it directly to her so she can attach it to her tag gate? Thanx honey friend. You are a treasure and I'm glad you are there for Tina and all of us!

XOX Mi

Pam Mattick Art and Stuff said...

Well, he probably wouldn't have let you off so easy if he'd have known you were a shoplifter. (Remember when Edith cried out, "Archie, I'm a clepper." Thanks for making mine more "tag-like". Love you and your piggies.
Pam

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails