I started working on the charms for Art & Soul yesterday and am in the thick of things! I pulled out the rusty keys I bought for the base of the charm and cleaned off the rust flakes.
I'm making 100 charms as I need 50 for the charm swap I'm in and then extras for regular trades and I thought I would sell some of them on Etsy.
Let me explain the swap and trade for those of you who are not following me!....
There are 50 of us signed up for a charm trade at Art & Soul - that's pretty explanatory, I think. Then, every and anybody brings different kinds of art to trade with others that are attending the retreat. I'm going to use my charms as my piece of art.
Using rusty keys, I had to find a way to seal the rust to the keys so that it wouldn't rub off. I did this with a product called PYM *spray* which was recommended to me by a friend on one of the boards I belong to. OMG, it worked fabulously!! I lined them up outside and sprayed them, front and back. It was that simple!
Next I had to figure out a way to make my wee bitty tags that will be part of the charm. They measure 1" x 1/2" which is really small and i took me a bit of time to figure out how to make sheets of the tags and the picture that was going to go on the back of them. I stuck with it, however, and got that all wrapped up! I was so proud of myself!!
After printing everything I cut the tags and pictures out and am now ready to put them together and finish them up so I can move onto the next step of the charm.
I'm very excited about these charms as they are the first I've ever made, they're really different, and my mom's baby picture on the wee bitty tags make them so sweet that I know the charms will have a sweetness to them when they're finished.